Thursday, November 17, 2005

Downtown Toledo, the good and the bad...

I often walk around downtown on my lunch hour. Predictably, I find things I like, and things that could use improvement. So I'm going to start posting some of these things to my blog. Today I saw two noteworthy things on Monroe street.

Bad first:



A rather large hole in the ground, exposing some ugly building backsides. This is from the warehouse fire last month. I expect they will continue backfilling and turn into another boring parking lot.

Now the good:



The new Paula Brown shop has opened. It is a terrific store, but sadly most of the stuff is out of my humble price range. If you are looking for fine linens, table settings, kitchen wears, stationary, artwork, jewelry, etc, this is the place downtown. Also, they had some great Japanese art prints. They've done a nice job renovating this interesting old building. I think formerly it was Port Lawrence Antiques.

It was really cold and starting to snow, so it was a short walk today.

2 comments:

Jason Follas said...

Every time I drive past the "pit", I notice what appears to be windows on the "basement" level facing the gas station. Are these indeed windows?

Aaron said...

I think they are just arched doorways. There is a whole hallway of sorts, that runs underneath the side walk. You can see about 10 feet down below you through the cracks in the sidewalk on that side. You might notice the half-ass orange fences that are blown all around keeping people "safe".

Also, you probably noticed I took the photo from Ontario street, with Monroe running to the right. I wish I had taken a picture of the crunched cars that were parked right next door, they've been long since removed.