Friday, December 23, 2011

What, I still have a blog?

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. No posts in 2010? First one for 2011? Yeesh, I feel like its a lost year now! Maybe I should have joined F a c e b o o k? Am I the last holdout?!

We're coming down to the end of the year and I have some heavy things on my mind. For some reason it was getting difficult to feel that warm holiday peaceful bliss because every time I try to go there, I start thinking of all the suffering going on. For example: in my family (step-mom, cousin); my town (homelessness, spike in violent crime); my country (people dehumanizing others based on political leanings); our continent (record number of families being separated and deported from US, unprecedented violence in Mexico); our world (unrest and violence in all of the typical hot spots).

We recently held our annual solstice party and many friends came over. I crashed at about 4am, while some made it through the night, playing games / talking / eating / watching movies / etc. I woke up realizing that connecting to people recharges me and I'm ready to balance my view of things again. Looking at myself in the mirror I realize I was once very social justice and service oriented. I think my mantra for 2012 will be "make the world better". My directions will include helping my immediate family to flourish, contributing through my church, watching out for my corner of Toledo, reducing our pollution footprint, raising awareness of social justice issues, and anything else I can think of along the way. That reminds me, I've got a great idea that would help people in our community and beautify the city at the same time. Now its a matter of finding people who can help me with it. I hope to post more on this idea before 2012 is over!

No comments: