Thursday, September 29, 2005

Downtown Fire











We had a view of the downtown fire from our office building today. Seeing the huge brick wall collapse was surreal. I'm assuming some cars are beneath that rubble. A colleague of mine took some photos and I fixed them up a bit for you.


I regularly walk by that corner (Monroe and Ontario) and it always smelled so bad from the dampness and the birds. At the beginning of the fire, you could see a couple hundred pigeons just circling above, not sure where to go.

I always thought the architecture of that building (arches especially) gave it good potential for some renovation project like the Bartley Lofts.

2 comments:

Jason Follas said...

Wow, you got a lot better view than we did on the river. Though, from our vantage point downwind of the fire, the smoke-filled downtown looked something like Los Angeles on a good day!

Unknown said...

I'd say they were awesome but that wouldn't be the right word since I love the older buildings downtown too and hate to see any of them destroyed especially by fire.

I agree that many of them have real potential to be lofts as well.