Saturday, January 20, 2007

Salling Clicker

I've just discovered a new use for my Mio... it is a wifi based HTPC remote control! I was sort of jealous of my boss who just bought a sonos system for his home (which is still cool if you have the cash).

But using Salling's clicker software to establish a wifi connection to the agent you load on your PC, you can use pre-configured scripts to control apps like Windows Media player, Winamp, powerpoint, or even just a virtual mouse/kbd to navigate your htpc monitor. If they don't have a script for your app, you can make your own. Imagine walking around with your PDA which can control any HTPC or regular PC in your home...the possibilities are endless. The software can be set to use proximity detection also to lock everything and shut off the music when you leave.

Truly amazing stuff.

The Mio runs Windows Mobile 5 on a 400mhz processor. It plays movies, stores plenty of content on a 4gb sd card, and navigated me across Europe. I'm already considering turning in my n80 that has the problematic symbian os for a windows mobile 5 gps wifi enabled phone like this one.

No comments: