Monday, August 18, 2008

Back in T-Town

Well, as many of my friends and family know we're in the process of moving back to our old home in Toledo. We're finding many changes but then again some things never change. One thing I have to get off my chest is we've been indulging quite a bit in the dining scene, easy to do in this town especially when you're busy with moving stuff. We can't seem to get enough of Johny's Lunch on Sylvania and Talmage...it is a great family restaurant and I highly recommend it. Oh how that buffalo dog keeps me coming back. Last night it was Shorty's on Monroe...excellent beer selection and some of the best BBQ / coleslaw around.

I've been walking around downtown each day on my lunch break with my colleague Al. He's got the scoop on quite a few of the projects going on, always curious whats being done with this building or that. As far as changes go I have to say I'll miss the old Bijou, a simple art deco theater. I'm sad to hear about the presumed fate of the United Way building...as it is an architectural landmark that is able and worthy of standing the test of time.




I have less forgiveness for tearing down interesting buildings after seeing thousands of well preserved buildings in towns all over UK and Europe. The vast majority of those structures probably make no business sense in restoring, but after time I think people really appreciate seeing an era reflected in architecture.

I haven't blogged about it yet but before we left England we took one last road trip to the continent. I'll try to write about it and post pics but the path was basically Brighton, Canterbury, theme parks near Paris, Ghent, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, ferry to Hull and then back home.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Aaron,
I wanted to give you an update about COSI since you are back in town. COSI is going to be on the November ballot this year for $5.21 per year. You can find more information about this years's levy at http://keepcosi.com

I wonder if you might pass this information on to your friends and family and fellow bloggers. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Carl